Monday, January 19, 2004

What To Do With Your Day Off

If you follow the Vega$ example, you, too, can maximize your enjoyment for future days off. For instance, for the celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King's birthday, I did the following:

First, start with the late awakening at an alarm-assisted 11:45 (about 7 hours after I went to bed). Get my shower on and then I'm pretty much out the door to meet my two fellow holiday observers, CO (who had to work a couple of hours this morning, despite being a fed employee) and JG (fellow bon vivant) at the Capital City Brewing Co., where Mr. G will be having his grad party in a couple of weeks. Had a couple of beers, and while doing so, we decided (well, C and J had been discussing it prior to my arrival) to make today a drinking holiday. But first, to eats. We decided we'd go to the Red River Grill, so we settled up, checked out the room where the grad party festivities will be held, and bundled our badasses out the door. Get to Red River and...fuck! They're closed until 5. So we head across the street to Armand's and make the pizza buffet lunch. Solid. From there, we must plan our next destination. Titty bar? Bugsy's? Hey, why not Lucky Bar? So we get on down to our destination, grab a booth, and proceed to drink and shoot the shit. Plus, this being a soccer bar and all, there was some hot and heavy "football" action, with Newcastle taking on Fulham. (Go Magpies!) After the match ended, the sports void was filled with some more football, this time on some fruity quarter-sized blue field, between Belgium and the Ukraine. We quickly ignored that and shot some pool. And just when you think the sports excitement could not burn any more intense, what do we get next on the Fox Sports World network? That's right: cricket. Please, stop hatin'. It's very unbecoming. Eventually, Mrs. O joined us for the last round and a bite to eat, and we bailed, the Entourage heading for the Virginia suburbs, and I to my tasteless, downtown spiderhole. Now here I am, watching Raw and slowly working the toxins through my body.

That, my friends, is how you celebrate your day off.

Up next: Philadelphia!