Saturday, January 3, 2004

...and we're back.

2K4, fool!! What?!

I am in a chipper mood, which is a 180-degree turn from where I was about 5 hours ago. Sheesh. Work. I won't go into much detail (trying to keep the dark side of my mind out of this blog), but it's getting worse. Must find new employer soon. Blech.

Anyway...the celebration of the new year was held at the Double-J ranch this year. I shall sum it up in haiku:

BBQ sammich
Texas hold 'em for paper
Let's deep fry twinkies!

Yes, we finally deep-fried some twinkies. We have been kicking this idea around ever since we first heard about it a while back. Personally, I thought they were tasty, akin to a bear claw. I'd be willing to try them again, but no time soon. We're considering trying some further experimentation, perhaps with string cheese or mini Snickers bars. Big thanks to Mr. and Mrs. O for bringing all the necessary ingredients--and frydaddy!--for our culinary exploration. No doubt Carl dipped some kneepads in the leftover oil and was whizzing about his house the next day chasing the cat. That crazy kid.

On separate occasions, 2004 was declared the year of the Twinkie and the year of the Bar Fight. There was one other declaration, but I cannot remember what it was.

It was, in fact, a very good time. Not once did I feel like I should be out doing something else, which just proves that it's not where ya at, it's who ya wit'. (Oh lord, more cheesiness; I apologize.) Between poker and meat and fried Twinkies and alcohol and South Park (uncensored f-bombs on Comedy Central, yo), it was quite an end to the year. And nobody got blowed up or plowed into by a drunken revelrer in an Escalade. Huzzah! The next day, after waking up 'round 1:30, we (J, J and I) played games until the early evening, then ordered Chinese food and watched Tombstone, a solid movie. "Skin that smokewagon and see what happens." Seeing Billy Bob Thornton being made into a bitch is hilarious. Like Sonicburger getting punk'd.

One last thing: watching Conan (the first of 2004) and he's talking to Ethan Hawke. Seems Mr. Hawke is a hardcore LotR fan. Surprisingly, Conan just mentioned that he's never read the books. I find that surprising. Now I'm in good company.