Saturday, January 17, 2004

Now, some Saturday blogging.

This blog has been quiet for a variety of reasons lately. These are: work (for a few weeks it was totally making me its bitch), health (have been contending with a cold that lack of sleep is only making stronger), and some family issues that occupy the rest of my thoughts (and are not really fodder for this blog, anyway).

Some random bits:

Was talking about this last night at a happy hour. This is a PR move, right? I mean, I'm a giant Dolphins fan, and beyond that, I'm a huge Marino fan, but I have no idea what this will do for the organization, except give it a bit of that "classic" Dolphins feel. Personally, I'm not convinced that football skills, of which natural instinct plays such a large part, translates into success on the sidelines or in the front office. Consequently, coupled with the fact that this is his first substantial role in a non-player capacity, I don't see what this will do. Sure, Marino has that competitive spirit, and he's stayed in touch with the game through various television jobs, but how will that impact breaking down film of college players? How will that help him in picking out the gems in free agency? If he's not going to be making these decisions (and considering the promotion of Rick Spielman, that would seem likely), then what will he be doing? Contract negotiations? Spiriting away the bodies of Wayne Huizenga's dead hookers? One thing that has come up is that this is merely a figurehead position until the Wanny question is finally answered with a resounding thud and then he gets moved to the sidelines. Who says that's a good idea? Again, can instinct be translated to coaching talent? Hasn't anybody noticed how rare it is for a great ex-player, in just about any sport, to be a great coach as well? I don't know, I like Danny a lot, and I hope that his presence will energize the locker room and light a fire under the players, but honestly, I think this will be like Michael Jordan joining the Wizards front office. It will generate some ticket sales, energize the area for a brief moment, he'll make one or two splashy (but questionable moves), and then he'll recede into the bureaucracy. Thankfully, the chances of Marino suiting up again are nil, so it doesn't have to play out entirely like that debacle.

Next weekend, I will be in Philadelphia hanging out with my former Left Coast Stalker and proud vegan friend, MJL. This trip is unrelated to the one the O's will be taking to Philly that same weekend (for readers of Mr. O's blog).

Hey, look at this! (Have one of my fellow blogging friends posted this before?) I think we all need a little bit o' formality and bureaucracy. Needless to say, I'm going to be distributing the sexual congress request forms at every social function I attend in the future.

In gaming news: I have put Manhunt on the backburner and have taken up Sly Cooper and the Thievius Racoonus. Less blood, more cartoons. That's what I need. Another design winner. I love the cel-shading and the level design is top-notch. I could see this becoming a long-running series, as the characters are all winners, too.

That's it. Now go on, go do fun!

Oh wait...one last thing: where the hell is Edie McClurg?