Thursday, January 2, 2003

Well, well, well. It's been a long time, hasn't it? Hasn't it?!

First: Happy New Year! My first 24 hours into this year just came to a close, and I must say, I'm unimpressed. This is the future? I'm still in the same apartment, watching the same television shows, and reading the same websites. I thought the future was supposed to be bright?

Seriously, a lot has changed since the last time I posted. I realize that my rabid fanbase hasn't been pleased with this turn of events, but what can I tell you? If you need a fix for the mundane, why don't you go turn on the radio? Stop hassling me!

What was I saying? Oh yes, a lot has changed. First change: I decided to work full-time for the Hilton. Actually, I'm still not a permanent employee. I decided to forgo benefits in exchange for never having to work on weekends and getting time off when I need it instead of taking "leave." I know some of you think that's foolish, but I have a feeling I'll be out of there sooner than later, and in the meantime, the pay has nearly doubled, which I'm loving. It helped out a lot with Christmas, which was absolutely wonderful. I got to spend 5 whole days at home with my entire family. Big Lou even made the trip from the Left Coast for the second year in a row. There's nothing quite like the feeling I get when the entire family is gathered. (Having the cutest nephew and niece in the world as part of that family doesn't hurt, either.)

Second change: there's a girl. I will not give her a name, because I respect her privacy (this is probably unnecessary, since I know nobody actually reads this blog, except for a few friends, who already know her name). At this point, there's not a lot to tell. We have gone out only once, but it was an all-day adventure that was simply amazing. It was interesting: I never really lost that excited/nervous feeling all day, even though I was immediately comfortable around her. We chat pretty much on a daily basis, and we even talked on the phone a few nights while we were with our families (she in NYC, I on the eastern shore of MD).

What's she like? Cute (obviously; Vegas doesn't roll with scrubs), very intelligent and creative, selfless (to a fault at times), and has an amazing sensitivity. Best of all, she challenges me. Not in a confrontational/contrary sort of way, but whenever we're talking, I feel like I'm actually using my brain. As is in evidence on this blog, I'm much into mindless chatter with only the occasional lapse into the genuinely thought-provoking. (It's the curse of the happy-go-lucky epicure-wannabe.) But when I talk to her, I feel comfortable no matter where the conversation turns.

I'm trying not to overthink this relationship at the moment, but I can't help but wonder where this journey will end up. Part of it is just the residual feeling from that amazing day, but the other part is how easily it is to be myself around her. I like that I don't feel like Vegas (and don't give me wrong, I love being Vegas) and I can simply be Damian. (Or Buckwheat Pillows, but that's an inside joke that I may eventually explain.)

And that's all. Perhaps I can resolve to post in my log on a regular basis this year. We'll see.