Wednesday, January 8, 2003

So sleepy. Why am I awake? Studies are inconclusive, but evidence suggests that I'm a jackass. But a loveable jackass. Can you make the same claim? Liar!

Actually, I'm awake because I have this weird compulsion to be awake, even if my body is fighting me on it. (Which it's doing now.) I get so caught up in the multimedia in my apartment, that going to bed actually seems unappealing. Then I fall asleep and love every minute of it, only to have it end much sooner than I wanted.

And actually, now my resistance to sleep is futile. So I'm calling it quits. I'll finish this post later. Ciao!

Okay, so I started this post last night aroudn 12:30, and now I'm finishing it at 8:55pm. But hey, at least I didn't let it linger for weeks. I know what my fans want.

Actually, I was just go to post this without adding anything, but then I was reading something, and I had to rant (sorta) about it.

The subject: Joe Millionaire. Yes, that new reality show on Fox that is straight poo poo. I haven't seen the show, but I post in a sports forum, and surprisingly, a lot of the guys there have. I found that surprising enough, but even more surprising, the guys all LOVED the show. The hook? They are all delighting in these "typical" women getting what they "deserve." Now, I admit, I have said myself that I am intrigued by the prospect of seeing a bunch of gold-digging women getting their comeuppance for being shallow, money-grubbing skanks. But the way the guys are just revelling in their imminent humiliation...I feel kinda skeevy. Even more offensive is the way that they all seem to think this is kind of behavior is par for the course for women. It's ridiculous how many men seem to have opinions that were apparently forged by old episodes of "Married With Children." (A show that I freely admit to loving, but not so much that I saw it as a documentary.)

It's disheartening that more and more men seem to be buying these modern, television-inspired cliches about women. It helps to explain why the chasm between men and women--in terms of their understanding of each other--doesn't seem to be closing. It's easy to rely on stereotypes when the other option is genuinely trying to understand people.

Now...if you'll excuse me, my woman is making me a sammich and I need to smack her on the ass to show my approval. Ciao!