Thursday, January 13, 2005

As some of you may know, I work at one of the larger hotels that will be hit by the labor fallout that looms on the horizon. Today, they started to "walk and work", meaning they work their shift, then go walk a picket line on their free time. A full-blown strike could happen as soon as this weekend.

Now, I could go into a few of the more relevant issues being brought up in these discussions, or I could go into my own opinions about hotel management, the union, etc. However, I will bypass these relevant hot topics and, as always, go straight for comedy.

Worst. Chants. Ever.

I think my contribution to the revolution may have to be writing some new chants that won't make them sound like toll booth school rejects moaning the lyrics to The Banana Splits in German. (Or something equally ridiculous.) An example of their inspiring rallying cries:

"I don't know but I've been told/DC is a union town."

They also did a parody of some fight song from Remember the Titans, but I haven't seen that movie, so I can't really give any details. (My colleague informed me of the source material for that chant.)

Anyway, I really am hoping that this can be resolved before a big strike breaks out. With any luck, reason and fairness will finally make their way to the bargaining table and everybody can walk away happy. Naive? Possibly, but what else am I going to wish for?