Wednesday, October 16, 2002

Hello, and welcome from Washington, D.C., where pumping gas is now considered risky behavior. I'm your host, Damian Vegas, and so far, I'm bullet free.

I know, levity at a time like this, right? Well, unless you're in the D.C. area, you can't really talk. You probably don't walk 25 minutes to work every day, wondering if some lunatic is going to move his operations into the city. You don't embark on that same 25 minutes again at the end of the day, eyes darting around like some crack addict looking for a forgotten rock on the ground, wondering if the odd looking fellow in that white van over there is perhaps going to kill tonight, or maybe even now. So you'll excuse me if I try to break the tension for a minute with a joke or two.

Admittedly, I feel a bit safer being in the city, since trying to elude the police and avoid detection in downtown traffic is a losing gambit. Still, perhaps this guy is a step away from going into complete mental oblivion, where he will just come into town and start blowing people away without a care in the world about being caught. So, until he's apprehended, I will remain uneasy, if not outright spooked.

In other news...you know what really irks me? People who act as if the music they grew up with is untouchable. Like they are the only influences on music there will ever be. Naturally, it's people that are the same age as the groups they worship, who think that because they were around when that particular era broke, that everything else MUST pale in comparison. Meanwhile, they're blasting "Frankenstein." Fuck those clowns. And they usually compound their ignorance by bemoaning the sad state of "today's music." Well, if I only listened to the 5% of music that radio and television allows you to hear, I may say the same thing. Fortunately for me, I'm not lazy (when it comes to music, anyway), and I go out and find the good stuff.

And speaking of that good stuff, I've got 2 cds coming my way, both by the awesome Japanese freakout collective, Acid Mothers Temple. The first is the recently release Electric Heavyland, available from Canada's own Alien8 Recordings. The other is In C, which you can find over at Squealer Music. Hopefully, I'll get both in the next week or so. I'm very excited.

That's all for now. INUKSHUK!