Monday, January 7, 2008

Happy New Year. It's Great To Be Back.

So, I basically quit blogging in 2007. It was a combination of things, and I don't need to get into it here, at least not in boring detail. But, I'm going to actually try to resume posting on a semi-regular basis in 2008. Not a resolution or anything, I just feel like doing it again.

The highlights of 2007--things I would have blogged about had I not given into the lazy--in chronological order:

  • Went to New Orleans with the Drizzle in March for the opening round of the NCAA tournament. It was a blast, and will actually get its own separate post, since I actually have it mostly written out.
  • Saw Acid Mothers Temple and Mammatus with Carl back in April at the Rock and Roll Hotel. Turned out to be a really good show. Carl, unfortunately, missed the second half of the AMT set, which was the superior part; completely mind melting.
  • Erica moved in with me in June, and then a string of very unfortunate events happened in short order within the first couple of weeks her moving in: her aunt passed away, she got a nice gash in her head at work that required a few stitches (thanks to the Driz for helping out that day), and then her mother injured herself. It really felt like a sign that maybe this wasn't supposed to happen. Fortunately, I leave that kind of stuff to those more superstitious than I...
  • In July, I asked Erica to marry me. She said yes. Guess she doesn't heed those warnings, either, much to my infinite delight.
  • Between the moving in together and the engagement, I had a very nice visit from my mother, my aunt, and my sister. E and I took them around town and had a great time. My family, incidentally, love E, so that's a nice bonus.
  • September marked the second annual road trip to Wilmington with the Drizzle. It was just as fun as last year, better even. Thank the maker for Digby O'Hollywood.
  • A week after Wilmington was the 10th Anniversary of Los O's, which was a fun gathering. The chocolate soda was a bad idea, but the rest was fantastic. Seriously, it was a great time, and I hope in 10 years, E and I can have something similar. Lots of love there.
  • October saw more family come to town to be tourists, as E's mother, cousin and his wife and sister-in-law came down for a weekend. That one was even more walky and touristy, but also good fun. I think E's family is fond of me, too, which is another nice bonus.
  • November and December brought trips to North Carolina to see my for Thanksgiving and Christmas, respectively/obviously. Unfortunately, because E had to work the day after both, she could not make the trip with me. Thankfully, her mother came down and spent both with her. Next year, the families will have to come to us, as I don't plan on spending the family holidays apart from E again.
  • In December, E and I (and Maggie and January and Los O's) went to see the One Man Star Wars at the Woolly Mammoth theater, which we enjoyed, even though I was slightly disappointed by the lack of Greedo. But, hey, minor quibble.
  • Oh, I also got promoted in December. That's...something.
And now we're in 2008, which is just a week old and has already seen a couple of blogworthy items, as I helped the Drizzle move into his beautiful new spot on Saturday, while I spent half of the next day in the ER, where Erica had been taken from work (again). Fortunately, no stitches or anything else of that nature were necessary. She's going to be fine, and I'm staying home with her today to make sure she's taken care of.

So...there it is. I hope everybody else had a happy and eventful 2007 and will have an even better 2008. With a little luck, I'll keep yins abreast of anything noteworthy via the wonder of Blogger.