Monday, August 14, 2006

Mental Clearinghouse

I am really not very good at this blogging thing. Once I turned the corner on trying to make this space as devoid of personal bric-a-brac as possible, it has been hard to go back and write about my life, even if it is relatively drama-free. Things happen, but I don't reflect upon them enough (or they are not of enough consequence) to write anything particularly insightful about the events. The passage of time only makes it more difficult, as short-term memory seems to be permanently unreliable and my powers of recall are eroded by lack of sleep and worldly distractions.

Plus, I am powerfully lazy.

In spite of that, I still feel compelled to keep up with things here, even if I have to use bullet-points. So, without further rambling, here are some things that are happening/have happened.

-My nephew will be playing football this fall. His position has not been decided yet, but my guess is defensive back. After all, my mother says he is a bit hesitant to tackle the other kids. Obviously, he is the next Deion Sanders. (I am a bit surprised he does not like to belt kids. He is a complete rough-houser any other time.)

-My niece is going to be a cheerleader for his team. It's nice to see siblings share activities like that.

-Due to my helping a loved one with some serious scrilla, I had to put my workstation purchase on hold for a few months. I have now been re-payed, so let the comparison shopping begin anew. Who doesn't like a good Xeon vs. Opteron debate? With any luck, I will be a bit of a recluse this fall. Seriously, that will be a good thing.

-Have had some quality adventuring with The Drizzle lately. As a result, Chambersburg is now the preferred destination for Hoss's road trips. Delicious!

-Went to two Nats games last week. One with Jamy and one with my father and cousin. My cousin is visiting from England, and was completely unfamiliar with the rules of baseball. My father and I wound up giving him a crash course in the first few innings. By the end, he was on his feet and cheering with the rest of the crowd. He is officially a Nats fan. It was fun to see someone who has not been completely jaded by the sport get caught up in it. His enthusiasm was refreshing. Too bad he's aligning himself with a team that is totally butt. He might as well be a Mariners fan.

-I look good in a suit. Seriously. I found this out when I purchased "My Very First Suit" to attend the wedding of one of Erica's cousins. Almost makes me wish I had bought suits before. Almost.

That's really about it. The events about which I previously said I'd write are all too far in the past (a whole month!) for me to remember. Therefore, a swift synopsis: 4th of July was both fun and infuriating; the going away party for a co-worker was the drunkest evening I've ever had at work (sad that there are other nights in contention); and the World Cup final sucked, but I had a good buffet breakfast to offset my disappointment with the match. Oh, and my first trip to New York City was awesome, and I will certainly be going again, hopefully sooner than later.