Sunday, October 31, 2004

A quick rundown of the past few days:

Friday: nothing. End of the long work week. I went to the gym Friday night.

Saturday: helped JG move into his new digs. Very nice bachelor pad he's got going on now. Mit fireplace! Solid. After we (JG, CO, RF, and I) finished, we went to Lone Star for a few beers. At the point, Mrs. O picked up Mr. O, while the rest of us headed toward southern MD to return the U-Haul. We get it returned, then get ourselves to RF's very Shag round house, where we got ourselves showered (man, we were busted after that move). After a bit of chilling, we make our way to Wal-Mart so JG could pick up a couple of things for the house, then we went to dinner (Ruby Tuesday's style), and finally finished up the evening at The Green Door. RF did us a big solid by being the DD, so that JG and I could get our drink on. As always, a good time was had, making a nice cap on a long, long day. We crashed at RF's, with JG and I talking trash about fantasy football before we finally just crashed.

Sunday: wake up and JG and I get our asses in gear back to Alexandria, where I am deposited at the Braddock Road Metro stop. Now, let me say that I wasn't particularly rehydrated, didn't get much sleep (maybe 6 hours), and didn't shower before leaving RF's. Now, while I'm not in a bad mood, I'm certainly not feeling completely alive.

And this is where the fun begins. First, I put my Metro card into the machine and it jams. So I have to a wait a minute or so for the manager to get over and open the card reader and fetch my card. Just long enough for me to see the Yellow line train pull away. That's fine, I'll catch a blue and then I won't have to transfer. Next blue line is in 6 minutes. So I give CO a call to find out how his wife was doing in the Marine Corps Marathon, with the hopes that I can catch her at some point. We talk until right before the Blue line comes. It's just before 11:00 when I board. At noon, we're just about to pull into the Crystal City metro stop. For those of you unfamiliar with the Metro system, that's just two stops away from Braddock Road, which is usually covered in five minutes. It seems I had the good fortune to get on the train that would get stuck for about 40 minutes just outside the Ronald Reagan National Airport stop due to a failure in the system grid (or whatever). Fuck. Now, I have my headphones on, so the time isn't really spent with my thumb up my ass. But after about 20 minutes of not moving, of false starts that shake the train enough that it feels like it might derail (and we're suspended probably a good 25 feet above ground where the train was stuck on the track), my mood does a nosedive into the black. Completely infuriated, particularly because of my Metro card had not been jammed, I would have been able to board the last train to get through before the system decided to go into the shitter. After 45 minutes, we are slowly pulled back to Braddock Road by another train, where my fellow passengers and I are able to switch to a Yellow line train. Or Green. Or Orange. See, the electronic marquee announcing arrivals said it was a green line. The outside of the train said it was an Orange line. But the conductor said it was a Yellow line. So we take off on whatever color train (it was a Yellow, based on the route), get to National Airport without a hitch...then stop. We hold in the station for about five or ten more minutes. Finally, at 12:20--80 minutes later on what is usually a 25-30 minute ride tops, with transfer--I get off at the Farragut North metro stop. Some of the rage had dissipated at this point, as all I wanted to do now was get home, shower, and watch a little football. Unfortunately, I was in no mood to go back out and see Mrs. O, wherever she was at that time.

Here I am, a shower, nap, two football games, and a dinner later blogging about the nonsense. I feel much, much better. I cannot believe tomorrow is November 1st. Worse, it's a work day. Still, I just popped Caddyshack in, and Rodney is making his first appearance as I type this sentence. Hilarious. "This is my guest Mr. Wang--no offense."

Finally: good luck to Mr. O, as you embark on NaNoWriMo.