Wednesday, March 24, 2004

When Two Tribes Go to War: A History of Video Game Controversy: this is a fascinating read over on Gamespot. (Found via Scrubbles.) On page six, they mention the new carding system, to which I was subjected last week when I bought Mafia. When you scan a game that is rated M, a screen pops up and prompts the cashier to ask the purchaser if s/he was born before whatever year would make them 17 and consequently old enough to buy the game. Of course, I didn't get carded after I said yes. I don't know if that's cashier discretion (because I'm obviously of age) or just laziness. But I have to say, I'm glad its in place. It's a fairly harmless precaution and it puts more of the responsibility on the parents if their kid comes home with a game with questionable content. (And my rambling editorial re: games that go too far and what exactly is the responsibility of game designers that I threated a few weeks back is still brewing. Worry not.)